Monday, March 29, 2010

Reflection on the Oral Presentation 2

Last Thursday, our group had an oral presentation for the problem-solving project of module CG1413. The main objective of this project is to raise the awareness of the impact of diet change on global warming. After all the pressure surrounding us for a long time, now it is perfect time for reflection.

It seems that I had a great improvement compared to the last oral presentation with the project CG1102, not only because this time I spent more time for preparation but also because I felt more confident. First of all, about the content, I have to say that more attractive animations were added into my slides that makes my presentation energetic and interesting. I was also able to keep track of my speech by emphasizing some important points as well as interacting with the audience. In such a long presentation, the key to keep audience pay attention is to combine both informative and funny elements harmonically; and personally to some extent, I think I successfully did it. Furthermore, I also spent a lot of time for my presentation content, which in the previous I missed. That’s the reason that though I didn’t use index cards to support my speech, I felt quite confident and wasn’t lost during the presentation. Last but not least, by rehearsing with my teammate few times, I finally found some resonance between my part and others.

However, there are still some parts that I need to improve a lot. Firstly, though this time I tried to speak lower and control my volume as well that made my pronunciation clearer, sometimes during the speech I was awkward when making some grammar errors. Moreover, my gesture and eye contact were still not good enough to grasp all the audience’s attention. I strongly believe that such imperfections were mostly due to the fact that this presentation was only the second time for me. Sometimes during the speech, I felt not confident and that affected my fluency. I hope that by practicing a lot, I will be able to improve such weaknesses gradually.

Overall, I think that our group had a good performance. Firstly, the delegation of tasks for the presentation is appropriate that helped each individuals show his best. Secondly, by rehearsing few times before, we achieved a high level of cohesiveness between different presenters ’s content . Of course, there are still rooms for us to improve, here I want to focus on the consistency in each part’s slides. There are some differences about the layout, font size which I think we can get better in the next time.

Finally, I want to say thank you to all of my teammates: Kai Ren, Duy, Geetika and Michael. Without each of us, we couldn’t finish the project at all. Thank you guys !

6 comments:

  1. Hi Duc,
    Congratulations for having well-completed your presentation! In my opinion, if you can control your confidence better, I think your presentation would be great. You have successfully explained the evaluation of the project, besides, you also succeeded in concluding our presentation. About the group performance, I think although we have rehearsed a few times, the link between every people was not very good. That is what we have to work on to have better result in the future.

    Cheers,
    Duy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Duc,
    I agree with you improved a lot compared to your previous oral presentation. The fact that u did not need to use any index cards for your presentation tells that you have improved significantly. I also think that you managed to give a very clear evaluation and conclusion for our project. It is normal to get nervous and make some grammatical errors. Most of the parts which require improving need practice. I am positive that with more and more practice, you can overcome all of these problems for sure!

    Other than that, it was nice working with you. Keep up the good work!

    Cheers,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Duc,

    First of all, I would like to appreciate the improvement you showed from last time. I felt that you put in a lot of effort and that reflected in your presentation.
    I think you have been overly critical about your presentation in your reflection. I think you really did a good job. Keep it up!
    I feel you have reflected less on the group presentation. You have not described the shortcomings of our group.
    Moreover, I found some grammatical errors in your writing. I would suggest you read your posts thoroughly before posting them. I think that might help you fix those little errors.

    Cheers
    Geetika

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey...
    I forgot to mention...please write a short description about yourself in your blog profile to help the readers know you better..:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Firstly I would like to congratulate you on a job well done both in the presentation and the project itself.

    From the presentation, you appeared confident and well versed in the topic you were presenting. While there were some minor slip ups as you mentioned, they were hardly noticeable. I agree that more interesting elements could have been included in your the evaluation and that more rehearsals would certainly help improve our group presentation.

    Regarding your reflection, I find it an honest self-critique and like how you made comparison to your previous presentation to evaluate your growth.I would say that you might have been a little hash with yourself but I believe that is tendency we all have when doing a self-critique.

    I would like to thank you again for your help and support during the project and congratulate you on your growth in confidence and presentation skills. It was a pleasure working with you and I hope the content of our project has benefited you as well. Please feel free to contact me via email or HP should you have an questions regarding the topic we researched and hopefully we can all remain in contact via our facebook group.

    Be Veg . Go Green . Save the Planet .
    Kai Ren

    ReplyDelete